Tuesday, November 16, 2010

...the wrong era

There was a windstorm last night. A windstorm that caused a power outage in our little town (and apparently across the region). This power outage got me thinking about something I mull over from time to time.

I think about our society and the things that are a continuous internal battle for me. Sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong era (I know this is truly not the case and trust that God put me in the right place at the right time, but I still think about these things). Here are a few thoughts-
I struggle with the concept of needing a gym, a nutritionist, and vitamins in order to be a healthy person. I also struggle with the fact that we are always trying to figure out how to connect with others, yet when invited to join in fellowship we can't even find the time to give a proper RSVP or commit to attending when someone else is expecting and anticipating your presence. It also feels as though our modern conveniences give us more feelings of angst than ease.

In past centuries, people worked the land. This was their job and way of providing food for themselves and their families. There were no overweight people because they walked where they needed to go, they were required to get up off their butts to do their jobs and ate food picked fresh and full of nutrients... now we sit to do our work and eat preserved processed foods, some from far off lands butchered from who knows who and others picked way before it's prime, ripened on a truck or ship.
In past centuries, people tended to the fact that we were made to fellowship with others. Townfolk knew eachother intimately and knew the needs at hand. People sat on front porches sipping lemonade and iced tea. And when invited to a friend's home, they came because they knew it was important to connect. People danced- everyone knew how to dance! Another reason there wasn't a 'battle of the bulge'.
In past centuries, there were no microwaves buzzing and dinging. There were no airplanes, cars and busses causing noise and air pollution. There were no background sounds constantly distracting us from peaceful moments. People used to write letters and poetry, they painted and played the piano. Children climbed trees, used their imagination and watched clouds. There were times of silence and we were comfortable with that. Now people are 'bored' if they're not being entertained or 'doing' something. No one can just 'be'. We must 'do' in order to be of any value.

When I arrived home last night during the windstorm, my home was silent and glimmered with candlelight. I enjoyed the moment so much, I cuddled my daughter in the darkness and noticed how beautiful her hair was glistening in the light of the flames. I also hugged my husband a little longer than usual since we stood in the kitchen undistracted by anything else. We went to bed EARLY. I wished it could have lasted for days... the peace. The simplicity. The beauty of silence. My love of a power outage.

No comments: