Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas is for...

I have always loved Christmas... as far back as I can remember, I was the one in the family that wrapped all the gifts (except my own) :)  (NOTE: after a conversation with my mother this evening, it seems my memory is not what was reality) I enjoyed baking, carolling, acting, dressing up, hot cider, pumpkin pie, sweaters, boots, parties, Christmas cards in the mail, thick winter coats, giving to others, crafts, the hope of snow (in the Pacific NW snow isn't always inevitible), movies and cartoons with Christmas themes, candlelight services, hymns, nativities, hunting for the perfect LIVE tree and decorations, Rudolph, and EVERYTHING related to Christmas.

As time has gone on, becoming an adult and a parent, Christmas has remained special in my heart (the true meaning of Christmas, being the celebration of Christ's birth and giving to others as God gives to us), but I've found it difficult to battle our societies materialism and busy-ness. In light of this, I have been challenging myself this year: GIVE MORE, SPEND LE$$.
Here are some of the things I have changed and focused on more than in past years.
  • I'm giving out MORE Christmas cards- it seems that we are receiving fewer and fewer cards in the mail each year, which saddens me. I have resolved to send out more instead of cut back. They bring joy to my life, so I think they must bring joy to others.
  • We eat the gingerbread house! In the past it was for display, as if it were some sort of Christmas trophy... which made my children sad. Why not eat it and enjoy each little gumdrop?
  • We drive around and take walks numerous times a week to see Christmas lights.
  • Knock on neighbor's doors to say Merry Christmas!
  • Volunteer to gift wrap in a department store (this is being organized by our Pastoral Intern- great way to love others!)
  • My daughter and I baked and frosted cut out cookies together... this may seem like a normality, but in the past I never made the time to do this with my children :( It's messy and time consuming- but what is a kitchen for and who am I wanting to spend most of my time with? Baking and my children... and sharing memories.
  • Each day my little girl do something to celebrate Jesus' birthday month... color a nativity picture, sing Happy Birthday, make snowflakes, read a Christmas story book... just to name a few.
  • No packages under the tree until Christmas morning... what a controversy, huh? We have fewer gifts this year and in an effort to minimize the materialism and greed, we are making Christmas morning a BIG surprise!
  • Celebrating Saint Nicholas and who he really was- an amazing Christian man who was a great example of giving, rather than the magical mysterious Santa Claus.
  • My son and I hunted and conquered the perfect little Christmas tree from a local tree farm. We had breakfast afterward and made memories that we will cherish.
Christmas is for making memories. Christmas is for celebrating love. Christmas is for giving more and spending less.

No comments: