Wednesday, October 20, 2010

...time

Time. It's quite an overwhelming concept when truly pondered. Even more so when you look it up: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/time It's the only thing you can spend and never get back. It's what American's claim to never have enough of. I've heard many say time is money. 'They' say it's of the essence, heals all wounds, and flies when you're having fun. People kill it, keep it, mark it and make it.

The phrase I have had the hardest time with is "I don't have time." I can't help but think to myself "Really? You don't HAVE time?" Aren't we all granted the same 24 hour segment of each day? Is it possible that everyone is actually saying that they haven't come to the point in life that they want to exercise their right to say 'no' to activities that absorb their time in an unimportant or ineffective way? Or maybe they haven't hit rock bottom of being so overwhelmed that life comes to a screeeeeeching halt, then requiring a major 'time management' overhaul.

I have struggled with the feeling of being absorbed with life... spinning out of control. I am continually telling myself: it is okay to put priorities on things. It is okay to admit "I just haven't made time to complete that task (rather than "I haven't had time")". It is ok to say "no" when asked to do something that would take precious time away from things that are of more importance to me, and it is okay to realize that I let other things get in the way sometimes.

God has given me the gift of time... I pray that I spend it in a way that is pleasing to Him and respectful of the gift.

1 comment:

Just Jess said...

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I took the time to read it and now I'm going to go take some time for myself...because of your post.
Blessed be!